Gallery

Sunday, November 23, 2014

Just not good enough...



I'm kicking myself, really. Having enjoyed the last Formula 1 Grand Prix race of the season on television (nice one, Lewis), I'm off out for a walk along the beach for the last hour of daylight. Despite the fact that I am wearing a small backpack that has more than enough room for a comprehensive kit I only take one lens with me. Quite why I can't answer, but having checked the weather forecast earlier I should have been better prepared.

For the last twenty minutes of what is known as the golden hour by photographers, the slit of light hovering over the hills to the west gives way to a breathtaking sunset that engulfs almost the entire sky. Unfortunately, this one lens I have on the camera is a short telephoto, and not entirely suited to capturing sweeping vistas. Of course, the trick is to make the most of what I have in such circumstances, and I start to look for silhouettes to set against the glorious light. There are plenty of subjects available as a good number of people move to the waters edge to enjoy the spectacle, but oh! -  how I wish I had a wide lens with me.




85mm f/1.4 AF Nikkor
Top: 1/400 second at f/4.  -1 stop EV compensation. ISO 400
Below: 1/160 second at f/4. -0.33 EV compensation. ISO 400



© 2014

No comments: