Gallery

Sunday, April 09, 2017

Pay attention at the back



Although Heritage Railways dot the countryside - lovingly restored and operated largely by volunteers - it is much rarer to see steam trains run on main lines. So when an event like that is happening in your own back yard you take the opportunity to get some snaps.

A chance find on social media, I discover that the Railway Touring Company have chartered a train that is being hauled by West Country Class No. 34046 Braunton, now running under the name Lord Dowding. The engine has been renamed to commemorate the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Britain, and it will pass near me around mid-morning.

I then promptly forget all about it until it's (far) too late.

Nil desperandum, I think, as I know the return run will happen during late afternoon. I'll get some shots then. Besides, the light will be better.

However, the return trip turns out to be pulled by a diesel engine; Lord Dowding itself having being uncoupled to make a guest appearance on the nearby Swanage Railway. The camera remains idle, but all is not lost. I am reliably informed that the engine in question will be passing again tomorrow - around mid-day.

So once again it's off to the station... and wait. It heaves into view in the distance; smoke billowing, and I take up my pre-determined position to get at least something, only to be presented with the image above. Running backwards (and early), and with only one carriage, the picture certainly wasn't what I had hoped for.

Nevertheless, it's a lesson learned: Don't expect a second bite of the cherry.



24-70mm f/2.8 AF-S Nikkor. 1/640 second at f/5.6. Matrix metering. - 0.33 EV compensation. ISO 320



© 2017

No comments: