Gallery

Wednesday, April 18, 2018

In the footsteps of John Constable



Today I'm back in Salisbury for some shooting around the Harnham Water Meadows. I made the decision last night, having scrutinised the weather forecast and found it to be clear skies for today. However, my main worry was that the light might be too good, but on the journey there I was pleased to note that some fluffy clouds were beginning to bubble-up.

Inspired by the John Constable paintings of the area, I roam the Town Path to find a composition that incorporates the cathedral, but frequently find the best angles are blocked by trees, or I'm unable to gain access to the water meadows for a clear shot.

But it's when I round the corner by the Old Mill at West Harnham that I am confronted with a scene that positively screams pastoral England. The fisherman in the mill pond, with the 12th century Grade 1 listed building in the background and the trees on the river bank, is about as Constable-esqe as I can get.



12-24mm f/4 AF-S Nikkor. 1/400 second at f/8. Matrix metering. ISO 100



© 2018

No comments: