Gallery

Monday, May 14, 2018

Not many fish about


It is some years since my (only) sighting of otter on the Dorset Stour, so I have decided to up the ante and search a location where they are known to thrive. It's my second visit in three days, and as with all wildlife shooting, the subject has little (read 'no') interest in co-operating with photographers. My quarry remains elusive.

Mind you, I'm not helping myself by arriving around mid-day; the light is far too brutal at this time of year to get anything worthwhile, and the otter are probably asleep anyway. Quizzing the locals goes some way to explaining their absence, as apparently there are few fish in the part of the river that flows through Stour Meadows, Blandford Forum, Dorset, at the moment. Of course, it follows that there are no predators.

I'm reliably informed that I should set up on the riverbank around dawn or late evening; something I knew, anyway, if I want any measure of success. In the meantime, I resort to shooting the flora that grows on the riverbank, as with this hogweed.



300mm f/2.8 AF-S VR Nikkor with TC-14EII converter. 1/400 second at f/8. Matrix metering. -1.3 stops EV compensation. Tripod. Sepia toned in Silver Efex Pro 2. ISO 100



© 2018

No comments: