Gallery

Monday, March 10, 2008

Call that a storm?


The worst storm of the winter (words of the weather forecasters) came in during the early hours, today. With heavy rain, and wind gusts up to 80 mph predicted, I prepared my cameras for shooting in such conditions. However, by first light, the Dorset coast was bathed in sunshine with blue skies, and the gale force winds had dropped to breeze level. But all was not over, as a second front began to batter the coast by mid-morning. I decided that the exposed areas would give the best images, and headed for Hengistbury head, on the far eastern coast of the county. It was there that the wind off the heavy seas made the act of just standing upright a challenge. I shot a mere 8 frames before the weather got the better of me and my equipment, and I retreated to the shelter of the car. By early afternoon the skies had, once again, cleared.
Shooting under such conditions is at best, difficult. Keeping the front element of the lens dry, and the camera steady is a major effort, but you do get images that most people wouldn't bother attempting.

© 2008

1 comment:

Jane Adams said...

I agree. Not up to 1987 standards! OK the wind blew and we had some rain, some got flooded, but that was about it. I walked at Kimmeridge on Sunday, and it was beautiful. English weather eh! Jane