Gallery

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Dragonfly...


I thought it would be a good idea to return to Corfe Castle and photograph the steam trains, but not so. After shooting a number of pointless images (there was no steam running, and diesel engines just don't hold the same fascination), I opt for damage limitation and head for RSPB Arne, and photographing the Sika deer. This also proved less than fruitful, as the only deer visible were in herds in fields: also pretty boring. However, there were dragonfly present at the nearby pools of standing water, so I concentrate on those. It soon became evident that I was not equipped with the right lens for the job (a 300mm f/2.8 just won't focus that close), but I persevered and got some acceptable images, such as the Four-spot Chaser (Libellula quadrimaculata). This dragonfly gets its name from the dark spot on the nodus, half way along the leading edge of its wing.

© 2008

1 comment:

Steve sculpts critters said...

I like the dragonfly and blue tit best.