Gallery

Saturday, November 08, 2008

A flying duck...




I have recently upgraded my camera body, but it was not until today that I had the opportunity (or the light) to see what it could do. So, deftly dodging weather fronts, I head to one of my favourite locations in the New Forest, Hampshire, to photograph everything that is autumn, and hope for good light.
One of the reasons for the upgrade was for the superior focus tracking of moving subjects, and it's the ducks at Eyeworth pond that are the subject of my lens. Of course, ducks merely bobbing around on a lake are no real challenge for any auto focus system, so I needed to get them airborne (and flying towards me) to get the shots I'm after. This usually works with the promise of an easy meal, so I entice them with wild bird food (not bread - it does them no good whatsoever) to my side of the water. It took several attempts to get the birds on the right flight path before I got anything useable (top image), and the AF system coped well, bearing in mind that I also added a x1.4 teleconverter to increase the reach of the lens.

Top image: Nikkor 300mm f/2.8 AF-S VR lens with TC-14E converter. 1/1250 second at f/4. ISO 320.
Below: Nikkor 300mm f/2.8 AF-S VR lens with TC-14E converter. 1/320 second at f/5. ISO 400.

© 2008

No comments: