Gallery

Friday, March 13, 2009

Master of flight...



The Wessex Hang-gliding and Paragliding club were out in force over the cliffs of Poole bay, Dorset, this afternoon. At one point there were six aloft simultaneously, each displaying their prowess as masters of the air, but they were eclipsed by the arrival of a Kestral (Falco tinnunculus) in search of a late afternoon meal (bottom image).
I have been keen to photograph this falcon for some time, but as is often the case it makes an appearance when I am ill equipped, lens wise. Today was no exception: My longest lens was at home. Despite this, an image is better than no image, so I shoot with what I have on the camera. I'm constantly amazed at this birds ability to hover motionless while scanning the ground below for a potential meal. True masters of flight.

Both images: 70-200 f/2.8 EX Sigma lens.
Top: 1/1000 second at f/5. ISO 200. +0.3 exposure compensation.
Bottom: 1/1600 second at f/5.6. ISO 200. +0.3 exposure compensation.

© 2009

No comments: