Gallery

Sunday, November 01, 2009

Autumn has arrived (in the UK)...


The mild conditions that have been prevalent across the UK for the past month came to an abrupt end today, with strong winds and dropping temperatures, and in many places, heavy rain. Dorset, at least where I am, was spared the precipitation for the time being.
Not one to be daunted by a light breeze (30mph/48kmh winds) I set out on my bike for some seasonal images.

My first call was the Sandbanks area of Poole Harbour. The tide is out when I arrive, and gulls and oyster catchers are probing the exposed sands for food. Watching the behaviour of these birds reveals a clear hierarchy when it comes to feeding. The larger gulls tend to ward off the smaller birds from potential feeding sites. While this may be expected in the grand scheme of things it's more disconcerting to see larger gulls harass and chase another (smaller/younger) bird that has made a catch, often forcing it to drop its meal. This is then snapped up by the pursuing bird. Fascinating to watch, but too far away to photograph with any degree of success.

Although I ride over twenty miles looking for suitable subjects the overcast conditions remain uninspiring, and it's not until I'm on my way home that I make any exposures at all, capturing the last rays of daylight as the sun sets behind the Isle of Purbeck hills (image) at 4.35pm.

300 mm f/2.8 AF-S VR Nikkor (VR off). 1/6400 second at f/4. -0.33 EV. ISO 200.

© 2009

No comments: