Gallery

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Cerca trova...


The good weather of the past two days is about to end - heavy rain is predicted tomorrow - so I attempt to make the most of what's left.
It's not until the afternoon that I'm able to get out of the house, and by then the broken cloud and blue sky is being replaced by a layer of translucent grey. Nevertheless, I plod west on my bike, hoping something inspirational will be just around the next corner. It's not.

Having crossed the entrance to Poole Harbour on the chain ferry, the cloud threatens to blot out the sun altogether by the time I reach Studland Beach. Flat light may well flatter a sitter for a portrait, but not so a landscape. I decide to go home.

As I ride along I keep repeating my photographic mantra - there's no such thing as bad light: just different light - and keep an eye open for something to photograph, even if it's just a token image.

Before the cloud completely blots out the sun's disc, I make the photograph included here. I nearly missed the scene altogether, had I not looked back over my shoulder as I passed. In stark contrast to yesterday's image, shooting into low light gives an almost monochromatic appearance to the picture, with just the colour of the boats as a focal point. 
Cerca trova.

24-70 mm f/2.8 AF-S Nikkor. 1/320 second at f/8. -0.33EV. ISO 200. 0.9 ND grey graduated filter.

© 2010

No comments: