Gallery

Thursday, September 04, 2014

A one trick pony?...



At the recent air show I had a discussion with photographer about the wisdom of buying pro-spec super-telephoto lenses. Such optics are always large, in both size and apertures, and nearly always prime lenses (with one or two exceptions). In other words: they are not zooms. They are also expensive. He went on to suggest that taking into consideration the inconvenience of bulk and weight, they were one-trick ponies; only suitable for pulling in distant objects.

I pointed out that that I have used mine to shoot landscapes and portraits; even the occasional panorama when needs pressed, but there is also the close-up image to be had. I like using lenses for something other than what they were designed for, and today I used mine for just that.



300mm f/2.8 AF-S VR Nikkor with TC-14EII converter. 1/400 second at f/5.6. ISO 200. Tripod.



© 2014

No comments: