Gallery

Thursday, September 13, 2018

Stained glass





Although I am anything but pious, there is something about stained glass windows that I find fascinating. I have turned my lens to such subjects before, but never really got up a good head of steam with them as a photographic project.

Today, I am back in Salisbury Cathedral, but the windows pictured here were not my primary subject. However, since I had a lens long enough to do them justice I thought it might be interesting to see what I can come up with. Of course, it's impossible to get up to the same level as the windows without clambering over ancient artefacts and tombs; something that didn't cross my mind for one second, so I have to attempt to correct perspective distortions in post processing. In most cases I was successful.

The inside of such buildings are usually dimly lit, but photographing the windows is easy since they are illuminated from behind and shooting hand-held presents no problems. What is frustrating is that with some windows high up in the cathedral they are difficult to see, let alone interpret the story being depicted. Odd, really - and a shame - that such beautiful work is placed beyond the average unaided eye of those inside.

I'm going to need a bigger lens next time.



70-200mm f/2.8 Apo EX Sigma lens. Matrix metering. ISO 400

Top: 1/500 second at f/4.5
Middle: 1/320 second at f/5
Bottom: 1/125 second at f/4



© 2018



No comments: