Gallery

Monday, December 09, 2019

Passing the time



Slapping a x10 ND filter on the front of a lens and locking the shutter open for umpteem seconds is all too easy to create blurred movement in images, especially where water is involved. Nevertheless, adopting this approach takes away any possibility of detail in those 'fuzzed-out' areas.

Today, I'm trying to convey movement in my subject, but in a more precise way. Still using the aforementioned filter, I juggle ISO and aperture settings to give me a slow enough shutter speed to achieve a soft effect, but not so long as to turn the wave motion into (too much) mush.



70-200 f/2.8 EX Sigma lens. 1 second at f/8. ISO 320. x10 ND filter. Tripod and remote release.



© 2019 


2 comments:

David c.h. Brown said...

Hi Richard,
Have been away from blogging for a while, but have finally started up again. Just love the effect of the ND filters, and hopefully I will try one out soon for myself. Really enjoy looking in on your excellent work. In case you are at all interested, my new blog site can be found at sadieson2.blogspot.com Cheers! Dave

Richard Brewer said...

Hi, David.

Beautiful images, as ever. Glad you're back. :-)