Gallery

Wednesday, June 09, 2021

Losing control


One of the things I miss about my Olympus Micro Four-Thirds system was the ability to select various picture modes when shooting. Knowing that I am getting the results that appear in the camera's viewfinder in real time made a big difference as to how I approach a subject.

A couple of years ago I had attempted - and failed - to set my DSLR to shoot in monochrome for specific shoots. Everything appeared to be hunky dory at the time until I uploaded the RAW files to my computer, only to find that they still needed to be converted to black & white in an editing suite to get the result I wanted.

It wasn't until early this week (better late than never), that it suddenly occurred to me that it might be possible to set a separate menu bank in the camera to shoot jpegs that would only render in greyscale.

It is. Not only that, but I could also choose to simulate different monochrome filters (yellow, orange and red), as well as several toning effects, all in camera.

I don't shoot jpeg files as standard as I want total control over the final image, but once in a while won't hurt.




Nikon D500/12-24mm f/4 AF-S Nikkor. 1/500 second at f/8. Matrix metering. + 0.67 EV compensation. ISO 100. In-camera jpeg - orange filter 



© 2021

No comments: