Gallery

Wednesday, September 30, 2026

Over the hills and far away


If this isn't an Indian summer, then I don't know what is. Temperatures are well above the seasonal average, and the stiff breeze blowing over the Isle of Purbeck is noticeably warm. But that's not why I'm here.

Today, it's a feasibility study of the photo kit I intend to shoot with during the coming months. It's the usual arrangement of a camera body and two lenses, but now with the added weight of a tripod. A travel tripod, that is. I rarely use one, as carrying one any distance quickly becomes an encumbrance because of its weight - and to some extent, size. Travel tripods are small and lightweight, but any tripod to a landscape photographer is useless if always left at home. Hopefully, this will solve the problem.

I'm not mentioning any brand names as everyone will have their own needs and preferences, but it turns out that one that folds down to just under 50 cm in length, weighs-in at 1.4 kg and is of carbon fibre construction, ticks all the boxes for me when walking the local hills.


© 2026



No comments: