Gallery

Thursday, December 02, 2010

Flakey activity...






Today, the "big freeze" came to town. It has been getting colder all week: now we have snow. The proximity of the Hampshire Basin usually spares East Dorset, and it is something of a rarity at this time of year, but I estimate some 4 inches (10cm) fell overnight.

Not about to let a photo opportunity like this slip by unrecorded, I raise myself from my sick bed (I've been host to someone's flu virus for the best part of the week) and get out of the house with my camera before the sun rises.
Sunrise is in name only this morning as the leaden sky is still yielding light snow as I make my way to the coast. On arrival I'm surprised that the sandy beach of Poole bay is covered in snow, making the whole scene a fusion of grey and white: There is very little colour, but like sunlight, snow can transform a landscape.

Situations like this need particular attention to exposure if the snow is to be recorded as white, not a dirty grey. Even the most sophisticated camera meters can be fooled under such circumstances, so I critically base all my exposures on the histogram displayed on the rear screen of my SLR. It turns out that increasing exposure by around 1 stop over the suggested (matrix) reading gives the results I am after.
The two pictures included here were shot this morning near Fisherman's Walk, Southbourne.

24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG Sigma lens. Monopod.

Top: 1/80 second at f/13. +1 stop EV compensation. ISO 800
Below: 1/100 second at f/11. +1 stop EV compensation. ISO 800

© 2010

No comments: