Gallery

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Bike...


I've had a bike for a week, now, and it's proving its worth. It enables me to react to changing scenery and light far quicker than when driving a car. OK, I'm restricted as to what I can carry on my back, and have to be more selective with which lenses to take with me, but that's no bad thing. As yet I've still to overcome the problem of transporting my 300mm f/2.8 lens around (it weighs six pounds on its own), but there are back packs available to carry just such optics. It's just a matter of when...
So, back to quicker response times. I saw the beginning of the effect (above) once I looked out of the door, and although I could have reached a suitable location just as quickly with a car, getting into position on a bike was far more convienient, enabling me to capture the fleeting pre-dawn light that would have disappeared whilst parking. The image of Hengistbury Head, Dorset, was shot at 7:45 this morning, 20 miniutes before sunrise (again, displaying the advantages of fast lenses).

Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 lens. 1/100 second at f/4. +0.3 exposure compensation. ISO 800.

© 2009

No comments: