Gallery

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Purbeck Way...



I don't advocate photography during the middle of the day: even at this time of year the light is just too harsh when the sun is at its highest. But on the odd occasion it does have merits.

I take the same initial route as Monday, starting at Handfast Point and Old Harry. Climbing along "Old Nick's Ground" I reach the start of Purbeck Way. By now I'd already decided to ride on to Swanage on the Dorset coast. It's mid-morning and the sky is cloudless, but by the time I reach the obelisk on Ballard Down cumulous clouds are casting moving shadows across the Purbeck hills, and the opportunity is too good to pass up.
The patterns of light and shade transform the landscape, and I spend an hour or so capturing the forms created and the features picked out by the sun.

24-70 mm f/2.8 EX-DG Sigma lens with polariser.

Top: Marker at the start of the Purbeck Way (with Swanage in the distance). 1/80 second at f/11. +0.3 EV. ISO 320.
Below: The obelisk and Currendon Farm (right). 1/100 second at f/11. -0.33 EV. ISO 320.

© 2009

No comments: