Gallery

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Run, rabbit, run...


This post, the 353rd, celebrates 4 years of blogging...and still free of advertising! Despite encouragement from various web sources my sentiments concur with that of George Orwell: Advertising is the rattling of a stick inside a swill bucket.

We will continue to remain bereft of such apparatus.

So, how to celebrate this anniversary? For the third consecutive day I ride into the Isle of Purbeck, Dorset, in search of  photographic subjects. Quite by chance, during early evening, I come across a field on the edge of Studland Bay that has a number of wild rabbits present.

I've never tried to photograph rabbits before, but have glanced through a number of articles on the standard procedure: get down wind of them, keep low and remain very still - and be patient.
I decide to give it a go.
Of course, my arrival makes nearly all of them scatter into thick bracken, but applying the four advisory points proves to have its worth, and after fifteen minutes or so they re-emerge and continue feeding - which is when I make my shot.

300mm f/4 AF-S Nikkor with TC-14EII converter. 1/800 second at f/5.6. -0.33 EV compensation. ISO 640. Handheld.

© 2010

No comments: