Gallery

Monday, June 21, 2010

Solstice dawn...

Keeping a close eye on weather satellite images is one thing, but a visual inspection of the dawn sky at 3:30am confirms that I'm going to get the light I want for this morning's shoot. Today is the summer solstice.
The word derives from the latin: "sol" - sun, and "sistere"- to cause to stand still - and the event is traditionally recognised as the first day of summer in the northern hemisphere.

I had a primary and secondary location in mind for photography before setting out, but opt for the latter on a hunch at the last minute and head for the Dorset Stour on my MTB. What the weather forecast didn't tell me was the formation of localised mist along the river banks; an added bonus for a touch more atmosphere.
The sun rose at 4:54am, but because of the distant tree line it was not visible for several minutes: the photograph of an oak tree at Throop was made at 5:15am. I had to work quickly as the light changes rapidly at this time of day, but local knowledge and experience enable me to get a number of useable images.
By 5:40am the sun had become too bright to manage and the shoot was over.

24-70mm f/2.8 AF-S Nikkor. 1/400 second at f/8. ISO 400.

© 2010

No comments: