Gallery

Sunday, September 19, 2010

The joys of f/2.8...


Today's image was not planned: I was on my way to Christchurch harbour, Dorset, to photograph waterfowl as the dawn broke, but as I rode in the semi-darkness along the cliff tops I became aware of the muffled sounds of heavy diesel engines labouring in the distance.

Upon investigating the din my suspicions were confirmed - the Limassol-registered dredger Shoalway was, once again, delivering a load for the ongoing beach replenishment scheme of Poole Bay - but under cover of darkness. I suspected it was a 24 hour operation yesterday, due to the floodlighting at the site, but was mildly surprised to see work being carried out during the night over the weekend. They must be earning a fortune in overtime.

Once at the scene it soon became obvious that light levels were very low, and some improvisation was going to be in order as it was still 23 minutes before sunrise. This is where fast aperture professional lenses shine: the ability to produce good quality images when used wide open. I still needed to brace the camera against a convenient lamp post to keep everything steady and raise the ISO rating to give an acceptable shutter speed, but the shot worked.  

24-70mm f/2.8 AF-S Nikkor. 1/50 second at f/2.8. -0.67 EV compensation. ISO 800

© 2010

No comments: