Gallery

Monday, April 25, 2011

Rather them than me...


I've not take a single photograph that I've been pleased with for a fortnight. It's not for the want of trying, it's just that nothing has inspired me. The creative person goes through these droughts from time to time, and I usually just ride them out...something will always come along (eventually).

I started the day with my first trip this year to Purbeck, Dorset, with the intention of photographing the bluebells in Brenscombe wood, but a rear tyre puncture put the dampers on the shoot before I got there.
Yes, I do carry spare inner tubes, patches, tyre levers and all that is necessary to effect a repair, but when the bike pump fails it can render it all useless, as it did today. Fortunately, a passing cyclist lent me her pump to inflate the patched-up leak, but after this setback I decided on damage limitation, and return home (and to buy a replacement pump). The bluebells will have to wait.

It's not until shortly after sunset that I come across a reverse (or catapult) bungee jump attraction in the lower pleasure gardens, near Bournemouth pier. The passenger cage is suspended with elastic ropes between two telescopic towers, and is held down by an electro-magnet. Once released, the sphere (containing two passengers) rises vertically with a g-force between 3-5, and can reach heights of between 50 to 80 metres (165-262 feet).

Not for the feint-hearted.

70-200mm f/2.8D Apo Sigma lens. 1/400 second at f/4. -0.33 EV compensation. ISO 1000

© 2011

No comments: