Gallery

Monday, October 03, 2011

Flight Lieutenant's memorial...


It was recently announced by Bournemouth Council that a permanent memorial will be dedicated to Red Arrows pilot Flt. Lt. Jon Egging, who died shortly after a display over the sea front in August when his Hawk jet crashed into fields near the local airport. At the time of writing no firm decision has been made as to what form it will take, but the townspeople are being invited to add their input. It is hoped the tribute will be in position for the start of next year's air festival.

Whilst researching the subject I came across a seemingly little-known story of another pilot who also lost his life during an air display at the Dorset (then Hampshire) town, and today I was able to locate his memorial on Bournemouth's East Cliff and photograph it. 

The small plate, set into stone, has the inscription:

                                         
In memory of

Flt/Lt John Henry Green DFC, a Canadian wartime pilot with the RAF. Lost his life on 17th September 1947 when his Spitfire crashed into the sea between Boscombe and Bournemouth piers during a flying display in aid of the RAF benevolent fund, and to mark the anniversary of the Battle of Britain.



24-70mm f/2.8G AF-S Nikkor. 1/250 second at f/11. - 0.33EV compensation. ISO 400

© 2011

7 comments:

D S Thomas said...

2825I have today approached the Bournemouth Council with a view to having the plaque to Flt Lt J H Green DFC refurbished at my expense. I am a regular visitor to both Bournemouth and the Air Show. I was recently in Bournemouth, when I came across this plaque in a run down condition. On studying it, I was shaken to see that this pilot was killed on the day I was born. I have an affinity to the Royal Air Force, having spent 12 years as a Royal Air Force Police NCO/ Dog handler. Rest in Peace

Anonymous said...

I have today approached the Bournemouth Council with a view to having the plaque to Flt Lt JH Green DFC RAF RCAF refurbished. I was recently in Bournemouth when I came across this plaque, which is in a poor condition. On studying it I was shaken to find that Flt Lt Green was killed on the day that I was born. I have an infinity with the Royal Air Force, having spent 12 years as a Royal Air Force Police NCO/Dog Handler. As a result the plaque is being refurbished at my expense. Rest in Peace

Richard Brewer said...

That is a kind gesture, D. I'm glad he is not being forgotten.

Dave Thomas said...

I am in Bournemouth for the 2014 Air Show. It has been agreed that due to the poor condition of the plaque, it is to be replaced. I am hoping that the plaque will be in place for the air show.

Richard Brewer said...

It's good to hear that, Dave. Thank you for keeping me up to date.

Dave T said...

On my last visit the plaque had not been replaced at that time. I have spoken to the engraver, the plaque was in the process of being weather proofed etc, the new plaque will be exactly the same as the old 1, hopefully will be better protected. I was given the old plaque, which has been cleaned up. It will be varnished, mounted, and will be presented to the RAF Memorial Museum at RAF Scampton in May 2015. This is the unit that Flt Flt Green DFC flew from with 49 Squadron. I know now that Flt Lt Green was at Stalag Luft 111 during the Great Escape

Richard Brewer said...

Thank you for the update, Dave. Interesting to hear he was in the area during the Great Escape.