Gallery

Monday, October 10, 2011

...to leave the world behind



Red sky at night, as the old saying goes, usually means fine weather the following day, so I pack my camera bag with three lenses the night before and set the alarm clock for 6.00am. I’m up before the alarm goes off, and a quick look out of the window suggests I might be lucky. A swift breakfast, then on the bike and pedalling into a stiff(ish) breeze. By 7.00 am I’m stood on the beach at Canford Cliffs, Poole Bay, facing East and wait for nature to do its stuff. It doesn’t. 

The time of sunrise comes...and passes, and nothing spectacular happens; it’s all grey cloud and the camera remains idle. Instead, I choose that moment to deliver a message to a distant friend. A cormorant flies low across the waves, and I suddenly become aware of a song that has surfaced of its own accord and is playing through my head.  At this instant the sun illuminates the broken cloud and I make the shot. 
Magic can happen.

24-70mm f/2.8G AF-S Nikkor. 1/400 second at f/8. - 0.33 EV compensation.ISO 400

© 2011