Gallery

Wednesday, August 01, 2012

A respectful distance...

I've not done much photography over the past few days; what with the London Olympics on television and what-not, so today I make the effort for forsake watching the women's pair win a gold medal in the rowing event, and get on my bike, suitably equipped.

I've chosen a specific subject to shoot, and selected what might not necessarily be a nature photographer's first choice of lens for the job. I am after damselflies; any species will do, and I'm carrying a super-telephoto lens. Most shooters of this type of subject might consider reaching for a macro optic as a first choice, but I'm being clever, here. I do own a macro lens, but it is a woefully short focal length of 105mm - fine for static, inanimate themes, but not so conducive to getting frame-filling images of nervous insects - so something much longer was needed.

I have two 300mm Nikkors: one with a maximum aperture of f/2.8; the other a more modest f/4 - both professional lenses. I kept the latter when I bought its bigger brother because of its ability to focus down to around five feet or so. That, plus it is somewhat smaller and lighter, and also has stellar optics, even when used wide open. It enables me to keep a respectful distance from such subjects such as this Banded Demoiselle damselfly (Calopteryx splendens), photographed at Throop Mill on the Dorset Stour, this afternoon. It was the only one I saw, and although it got my full attention for several minutes, the long focal length ensured I didn't have to get so close as to stress the little chap (yes, it's a male).


300mm f/4 AF-S Nikkor. 1/160 second at f/8. ISO 400. Monopod


© 2012

No comments: