Gallery

Friday, August 17, 2012

Next time...

After last week's experiment of shooting a firework display at a distance, I opt this week to get in somewhat closer for what might be considered a more sensible approach. Initially, I had ideas about being under the display, so to speak, shooting upwards. Why, I even entertained the idea of shooting with a fisheye lens (there was one in my bag tonight), but I eventually settle on an elevated position, 750 yards (686 metres) from my subject.

I wait in the heat of the summer night, while the mosquitos have a field day. If last week was anything to go by, I will have a few lumps here and there come morning. The hour comes; the display starts, but it is immediately obvious that I have the wrong lens for the job on the camera - a wide zoom. Even at its longest setting it is giving me woefully small images, so I and forced to make the change to rescue the shoot, and fit a standard zoom lens.

By the time I make this decision the display was probably half over, but having fumbled about in the dark (yes, I did have a torch with me, but it was effectively useless, as there was no way to hold it and mount the lens at the same time), and achieved framing and focus, the pyrotechnics were beginning to reach their peak. The best is always saved until last with such events. Even so, out the 28 frames I exposed I only came away with two useable images, one of which you see here, with Bournemouth Pier dwarfed beneath multiple bursts. I breath a sigh of relief: it could have been far worse. I'm already thinking about next week.


24-70mm f/2.8G Nikkor. Bulb exposure. f/5.6. ISO 400. Tripod and remote release. Mirror lockup.


© 2012

2 comments:

Nic said...

I like this picture a lot. The colours are very pretty.

How are your lumps?

Richard Brewer said...

Thank you, Nic. The lumps, resulting from the bites, are not as bad as the previous night shoot. :-)