Gallery

Friday, August 15, 2014

Jellyfish...



It has been a decent summer in the southern part of the UK, and it continues to be so, but now there are the first hints of autumn approaching with cooler mornings and leaves turning on the horse chestnut. In spite of that once it does warm-up the days - and evenings - are still pleasantly warm. Not so this time last week, when we received the tail-end of ex-hurricane Bertha, and the constant threat of rain and strong, gusting winds. Although largely a spent force by the time it reached us, it was enough to keep me away from shooting the local fireworks display - something I try to do each Friday night during the season. It still went ahead despite the conditions (I heard it), but not with me in attendance.

Tonight was different: calm, warm and clear, so I set up on a local beach to start shooting. This kind of photography is always hit-or-miss. Sometimes I come away with any number of successful images, but on this occasion I only managed the one (above). I include it here as it is different to the hundreds of other firework shots that reside on my hard drives, and that, to be honest, is the challenge: to get something different each time. It reminds me of a jellyfish.



70-200mm f/2.8 EX Apo Sigma lens. 4 seconds at f/11. ISO 200. Tripod and remote release.



© 2014

No comments: