Gallery

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Fleeting glimpse



The last thing on my mind today when heading to the local nature reserve were kingfishers, but as so often happens the best shots of the day can come from nowhere. I had bumbled about on the river bank for over an hour, trying to find something to photograph that would represent the emerging spring, but other than repeating what I had already photographed last week I wasn't having much luck.

I had been keeping a watchful eye out for otters as reports of recent sightings had been forthcoming from passers-by all afternoon, but it wasn't until I moved upstream to a favoured spot for kingfishers that I saw today's subject, perched on a pice of angle iron driven into the riverbed. Predictably, the bird flew away as I arrived, but undeterred I set up and pre-focused my lens on the perch... and waited. It was an hour and twenty minutes before my patience was rewarded, but even then it was a fleeting glimpse and I only managed a mere 14 frames before it was gone again.



300mm f/4 AF-S Nikkor with TC-14EII converter. 1/250 second at f/6.3. Matrix metering. ISO 160. Tripod and remote release



© 2015

2 comments:

Nic said...

Lucky you. Again. One day I might be able to get close enough but I won't hold my breath.

Richard Brewer said...

A slice of luck on both occasions for me, Nic, so you never know. ;-)