Gallery

Monday, November 26, 2018

I dodged a bullet (apparently)



Before I committed to digital photography I gave some serious consideration to the 4x5 film format. At the time it all involved investing in a new system anyway, and large format had its appeal, however unwieldy such a camera may be in the field.

In the end I opted to stay with a smaller SLR system (switching from Olympus to Nikon), and with hindsight that was possibly a good decision. Today, I checked the price of what I would have to pay for "going large". At the time of writing, what with cost of sheet film (Fuji Velvia for preference), and processing, it would work out at £9.70 (€10.06 / $12.08) per shot. Okay, I would have got superb detail, but the aforementioned figures didn't involve digital scanning or making prints.

Occasionally I still crop to the 4:5 ratio just to see what I am missing in that respect, but the cost of it all tells me I made the right decision.



12-24mm f/4 AF-S Nikkor. 4 seconds at f/8. Matrix metering. - 0.67 EV compensation. Tripod and remote release. ISO 100



© 2018

2 comments:

Nic said...

These would look lovely in a one of those four photo jobbie thingy, which have a name that I have forgotten. Those. :)

Richard Brewer said...

When I get the other three I'll sort one out. ;-)