Gallery

Friday, November 30, 2018

Spares save the day



The effects of sea air can be brutal on photographic gear. The constant battle against airborne contaminants on the front element of a lens never really goes away, but the biggest threat from salt-laden air is when it gets into the innards. That, and impact damage. Both of my regular lenses are packaged and are sat, waiting for the off to the repair shop. The wide-angle zoom got bent out of shape due to an accident whilst out shooting this week, and the 24-70mm is in desperate need of a service; its first in the 9 years I've had it.

But all is not lost as I resort to a couple of back-up lenses I keep for such an eventuality. Neither delivers the colour and quality of my preferred optics, but they are better than nothing at all at those focal lengths. However, it has been some years since I've used either, so I set off for a casual stroll along the beach, just so I can reappraise each lens.

Optical distortion is my main worry, and the wide zoom has it (not good when there is a straight horizon towards the edge of the image), but Lightroom - and some judicial cropping - is able to deal with it (as with the photo above).

The standard zoom is fine for what it is (an ageing Sigma 24-70mm D EX DG f/2.8), but using both lenses frequently catch me out in use. Neither are AF-S, and the focus ring rotates as the camera achieves focus; something I'm not used to when hand-holding. But again, First World Problems. Thankfully, I have both optics as spares.


18-35mm f/3.5-4.5 D ED Nikkor. 1/1600 second at f/8. Matrix metering. -0.67 EV compensation. ISO 100



© 2018


No comments: