Gallery

Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Book-ending the day



This morning I'm in a bit of a panic. The weather forecast is for thick cloud, yet looking out of the window I see stars. I need to get to the beach before I lose the upcoming light and greyness dominates the day.

The top image was taken three minutes before sunrise, and having got at least something in the can, I retire for breakfast. But as the day wears on I realise that the weather people couldn't have got it more wrong. Cloudless blue sky predominates, and a swift inspection of the Met Office satelite image confirms the skies above southern England are likely to remain so well past sunset.

So it's back to the beach for late afternoon. There is no useable low tide today, but that doesn't matter. I'm there to start shooting after the sun has gone, and begin making exposures the moment the sun drops below Dorset's Purbeck hills. The photograph I end up using was taken thirty-six minutes later.



Lens: 12-24mm f/4 AF-S Nikkor

Top: 0.5 second at f/11. Matrix metering. -⅓ EV compensation. Lee 0.6 ND grad and 81B filters. Tripod and remote release. ISO 50

Below: 8 seconds at f/11. Matrix metering. -⅔ EV compensation. 0.9 Lee ND grad. Tripod and remote release. ISO 50



 © 2020 

No comments: