Gallery

Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Leading a horse to water


The ponies of the New Forest, Hampsire, are free to roam anywhere within the confines of the national park, but they are not wild animals. Although numbering around three thousand in all, they are not always to be found in the places where I look. Even when they are where I want them to be it can be tricky to create good compositions.

This afternoon I'm in luck. The area of heathland I visited frequently around 12 years ago produced a fair amount of success from a photographic point of view, and today an oblidging pony ambles across to drink from a pond just as I arrive on the scene. Eyeing-up the opportunity to include the solitary tree and darkening sky in the composition, as I begin to frame the shot a lone rider unexpectedly enters from the right.



24-70mm f/2.8 AF-S Nikkor. 1/320 second at f/8. Matrix metering. ISO 100



© 2020

No comments: