Gallery

Monday, February 03, 2020

Totally committed



At least I thought I was. For the first time since I made the move to digital photography I decided to shoot monochrome in camera. I've always felt that having the option to convert colour files to mono in post processing was a bit of a cop-out. Conveinient, yes, but not true black and white photography. If I wanted both options in the days of film it would have been necessary to carry two cameras loaded with different emulsions, or more fiddly, change films mid roll; something I never did in either case.

So today I set the camera to shoot mono, committing myself with every shot. Seeing each image on the rear screen in greyscale as I work totally changes my thinking and approach, and I quickly warm to the idea.

However, I was somewhat disappointed when I imported the files into Lightroom and watched all the files being rendered as colour thumbnails. All the colour information has been retained!

Some swift research online reveals that to avoid this happening I need to create a new 'user preset' in Camera Calibration in the Develop Module when importing the files from the memory card. Hopefully, this will do the trick, and I can think of this technique as true black and white photography.



20mm f/1.8 EX DG Sigma lens. 1/800 second at f/1.8. Matrix metering. - 1 stop EV compensation. ISO 100. Mono conversion in Silver Efex Pro 2



© 2020

No comments: