Gallery

Friday, March 29, 2024

How wide is too wide?


Although it's a mental adjustment I knew I would need to make, having renewed access to ultra-wide lenses is presenting more of a challenge with landscape photography than I expected. The ability to include so much of a vista is a distraction. Having dramatic light on the land - and spectacular skies all at the same time - is causing, at least to me for the time being, compositional problems.

Which to include the most of is the dilemma I'm currently faced with. Cutting the image in half along the horizon doesn't often work, but leaving out aspects of a remarkable terrain is frustrating. The landscape shooter's focal length for the 135 film format used to be 28mm, but I can go half that now should the situation demand. The temptation is clear, but trying to cram in all I see is not sitting easy with me. I need to re-educate my eye.


© 2024

No comments: