Gallery

Thursday, July 24, 2014

Old tricks...


I don't know why I have left it until the heat is at the levels it is in the south west - 27º C, today - but when the urge strikes there is not much point in fighting it, and I'm back to the river for another shoot. A favourite location for many years now, Throop Mill on the Dorset Stour can be both peaceful and photogenic. The mill itself has been out of action since the early 1970s - although all the milling gear apparently is still in situ - but the millpond is still there; host to any number of waterfowl at any time of year.

Unfortunately, the only thing of interest - a grey heron - is some forty yards off and feeding behind a bank of reeds in the late afternoon sunshine - so I have to make do with a couple of mute swans as a subject. To make things more interesting, I want to use the reflection of the mill's red brick walls to add colour to the shot, and simply wait until one floats into the right spot. This trick of using reflections that are not necessarily to be found in nature has been part of my technique for some years now. Simple, yet effective, and had I not given the game away the viewer would have been none the wiser.



300mm f/2.8 AF-S VR Nikkor with TC-14EII converter. 1/800 second at f/6.3.  - 0.67 EV compensation. Monopod



© 2014

2 comments:

Tim O'Keefe said...

Now tat you say it I can see the mill in the reflection. Clever. Elegant in its simplicity.

Richard Brewer said...

What the viewer doesn't know, the photographer gets away with, Tim. ;-)