Gallery

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Rare, it seems...


After yesterday's persistent rain, the dawn broke cloudless today. So, up at 4:00am and down to the river to see what was happening. My first stop was the swans nest (photographed last week), but it was deserted. I was informed by a dog-walker that there are seven cygnets at the site, meaning that all the eggs hatched and the contents survived.
So, drawing a blank, I decide to concentrate my attention on damselflies. Several species were present, but the one photographed here is something of a rarity, it seems. I have identified it as a Scarce Blue-tailed damselfly (Ischnura pumilio), that at one point was thought to be extinct. It's mostly the destruction of their habitat that reduces the numbers (isn't it always?), but this site would appear to be secure for the foreseeable future.

© 2007

No comments: