Gallery

Friday, October 03, 2008

The best zoom - your feet..


The colours and smells of autumn are beginning to kick-in, and photographic opportunities abound when the light is good. Today, I take advantage of what threatens to be the best light of the weekend in east Dorset, and decide to travel with minimal equipment. This consists of an SLR body and 50mm standard lens. Being deliberatly restricted by just one focal length compels the photographer to work much harder for images (no zooming with the lens - none of that stuff), but in my opinion produces better results as I am forced to use my feet to find the angles.
This is evident from the image here, where I had to get low with the camera to shoot the grasses against the afternoon sun. Had I had the option of the various focal lengths a zoom lens offers I wouldn't have been working so hard to find pictures, and may well have passed this option by.

Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 lens. 1/2000 second at f/8. -0.33 exposure compensation. ISO 160.

© 2008

No comments: