Gallery

Saturday, February 21, 2009

The best time of day...



With a better than good chance of useable light, it's on the bike and along the coast to the southern tip of the entrance to Christchurch harbour, Dorset. The sky looks promising before I leave the house, but cloud from the east threatens to scupper my plans as I cycle along in the pre-dawn.
I arrive at the eastern tip of Mudeford sandspit at around 7:00 am, which gives me time to get into position and wait for the sun to break the horizon. I decide on a wide angle shot and select a neutral density grey graduated filter to hold back the sky. Although not as spectacular as I would have wished, the sun breaks through the cloud bank at 7:23 am (top image) and I only manage four shots during the minute or so the sun is visible before it is again obscured by the cloud. When it re-appears it is too high in the sky - and too strong - for the effect I am after.

The second photograph, shot shortly after 8:00 am, shows heavy plant moving sections of pipe into position at Hengistbury Head in preparation for beach replinishment, last done at this location during the winter of 2005/6. Whilst the beaches to the west are replinished with sand, shingle is used here as it is less prone to longshore drift.

Top image: 12-24mm f/4 Nikkor. 1/100 second at f/8. ISO 400. 0.6 Neutral density grey grad filter.
Bottom image: 12-24mm f/4 Nikkor. 1/160 second at f/8. ISO 200. +0.67 exposure compensation.

© 2009

No comments: