Gallery

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Poole parasurfer...



Riding a bike is one thing, but transporting photographic gear as well is something else. Although I have a number of bags and cases to move equipment around (currently 9) none are really suitable for transporting large lenses on a bicycle...until now. I recently invested in the Think Tank Glass Taxi back pack, which will hold a 300mm f/2.8 lens (hood reversed) with a pro DSLR attached. There is also room for a small lens or two, but that's about it.
Having secured a monopod to the side I set off, primarily to test its practicality whilst riding. Although my initial intention was cross on the Sandbanks ferry to Studland, Dorset, I'm instantly captivated by the parasurfers in Poole harbour once I arrive, and stop to photograph them instead. Although I don't possess the focal lengths needed to pull in all the action, fitting a x1.4 tele-converter allows me to get some useable images when the subject passes close enough (photo).

Oh, yes, the bag is fine.

300mm f/2.8 AF-S VR Nikkor with x1.4 TC-14E tele-converter (VR off). 1/1600 second at f/4.5. ISO 400. +0.3 exposure compensation.

© 2009

No comments: