Gallery

Monday, April 13, 2009

Agglestone rock...



The Easter weather forecasts have - as per - been somewhat hit or miss. Consequently I ignored the forecast for Easter Monday and got caught out; the dawn broke clear. But I was none the wiser as I was still asleep. Nevertheless my camera bag was packed ready to go at a moments notice, and it was on my bike at the earliest opportunity, travelling west for the Sandbanks ferry.
Once across to the Studland peninsula I head for Godlingston heath to photograph the Agglestone - also known as the Devil's Nightcap. Listed as one of 25 things to see in Dorset before you die the Tertiary sandstone rock, once anvil shaped, perches on a conical hill on the heath, but in September 1970 erosion made the block topple to the southeast. Legend has it that the 17 foot high, 400 tonne rock was thrown there from the Isle of Wight by the Devil. The story goes that his target was Studland church, Corfe Castle or Old Harry Rock. However, it's clear he missed.

First image: Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 lens. 1/320 second at f/5.6. CPL. ISO 400.
Second image: 12-24mm f/4 Nikkor. 1/160 second at f/8. CPL. 0.6 grey grad filter. ISO 400.

© 2009

No comments: