Gallery

Friday, August 07, 2009

Strutting Coot...


I've recently had the need to have one of my super-telephoto lenses cleaned and adjusted to restore it back to like-new performance.
Today is the first opportunity I've had to check it out since its return, and I cycle into the countryside in search of subjects.
The photograph of the Coot (Fulica atra) was made at Throop Mill weir on the River Stour, Dorset, this afternoon. I had to attach a x1.4 teleconverter to increase the reach of the lens, and as usual the combination works superbly - even with the lens wide open. I'm constantly amazed at the size of feet that this bird has, accentuated by the lobed toes that facilitate swimming.

300mm f/4 AF-S Nikkor with x1.4 TC-14EII TC. 1/800 second at f/5.6. -0.33 EV. ISO 400.

© 2009

No comments: