Gallery

Sunday, January 03, 2010

And now for something completely different...



It has been a year since I had the idea of buying a bike to use as a photographic gadget, and in that time I have cycled 3,300 miles (5,300 km). Without doubt, it has enabled me to shoot images I would otherwise have missed, or simply passed by. Money well spent.

The high pressure over the southern counties of the UK continues, and crisp, sunny winter days are the result. Once again more dawn frosts and frozen water present opportunities for winter scenes: but today I intend to seek out the less obvious. To achieve this I dig out my underused macro lens, as what I have in mind is to shoot patterns that occur in nature.

Random ice patterns are the subject of my lens as the sun crawls above the horizon. Like snowflakes, each pattern has its own unique abstract arrangement. It's just a case of finding a pleasing composition.

The past few days have seen exceptionally high tides in Christchurch Harbour. This enables me to get some unusual photographs of the waterfowl along its banks, and at high tide the Dorset Stour is beginning to flood Christchurch Quay when I arrive during mid morning. I utilise the same technique to photograph the resident swans as I did during a visit late last year - setting the lens to minimum focus; stopping the lens down; estimating the framing and shooting from ground level - but this time having the advantage of getting the camera at water level.

Top: 105mm f/2.8 Sigma macro lens. 1/320 second at f/6.3. -0.33EV. ISO 400

Bottom: 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG Sigma lens. 1/800 second at f/11. -0.67EV. ISO 400

© 2010

No comments: