Gallery

Sunday, April 11, 2010

The fisheye saves the day...


There are three things than determine a successful day of outdoor photography: the weather, your frame of mind and how hard you are prepared to work at getting good images. Despite all three being to the fore I still hadn't shot anything by late afternoon to get excited about, even though I rode some 30 miles (48km) with a camera on my back.

I had made a number of images during the trip, but in the back of my mind I knew there would be nothing worth posting...until I cycled past Christchurch Priory, Dorset. The early evening light and the daffodils caught my eye, and I knew in an instant to photograph the scene with a fisheye lens.

The problem of getting low enough to get the flowers to fill the frame was solved by the live view feature on my camera; the lens, well stopped down to maximise depth of field, did the rest. I don't usually close the lens down this much, as diffraction begins to make the image less sharp - but in this instance I make an exception.

10.5 mm f/2.8G Fisheye Nikkor. 1/40 second at f/16. ISO 400

© 2010  

No comments: