Gallery

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Unseasonably warm...


It remains unseasonably warm in the south west of the UK, and following orders I get myself out of the house with a camera and two lenses - both zooms (the lenses were my decision) - and go for an 18 mile bike ride. It was never my intention to ride that distance, but it was easy riding and the weather was good. It just happened.

I rode the full length of Poole Bay, Dorset, to start with, taking a number of images of Hengistbury Head at the Eastern end to get me started. There was a good deal of haze and that, mixed with the autumn light, produced the top image. In essence I photographed the light, not the subject.

Upon reaching the Sandbanks end of the bay I was attracted by a variety of gulls, squabbling over scraps of bread being fed to them. Their behaviour is predictable in this activity as they wheel overhead, waiting for their opportunity to swoop and grab what they can. This is where the telephoto zoom shines, as I can constantly reframe as the birds approach my position, shooting when they have in a good orientation to the camera. Prime lenses restrict this, often forcing me to shoot before the subject fills the frame, or sometimes too late, and part of the bird is lost out of frame.



Both photos: 70-200mm f/2.8 Apo Sigma lens.
           
         Top: 1/400 second at f/8. ISO 500. Polarising filter
         Below: 1/2000 second at f/5.6. ISO 400


© 2011

No comments: