Gallery

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Kites and herring gulls...



The heavy cloud of early morning gives way to blue skies and crisp autumn weather. A brisk westerly wind is blowing, and I know conditions are right for the kite surfing enthusiast, so I pack my longest lens and cycle to Sandbanks, on the southern shore of Poole Harbour. Despite the fact that I'm already shooting with a tele-converter attached to a 300mm lens the surfers themselves are too far from the shore to get frame filling images, so I opt to shoot the kites themselves (above).

Having stood for more than an hour in one spot the wind chill gets the better of me and I decide to head home - a bit of exercise will soon warm me up. As the sun sinks low on the horizon I come across a herring gull perched on a groyne head.


Normal procedure in this scenario is: I edge carefully towards my subject, making no sudden moves, slowly and quietly unpack my camera with telephoto lens attached, fix the assembly to the monopod and begin to frame the subject... at which point it flies off before I can make an exposure. Except in this case it didn't happen. The gull was more than happy (it seems) to be photographed on Bournemouth beach in the late afternoon sun.


Both images: 300mm f/2.8 AF-S VR Nikkor with TC-14E converter.

Top: 1/1000 second at f/8. - 0.33 EV compensation.
Below: 1/800 second at f/4.5
ISO 400

© 2011

1 comment:

Nic said...

It's a stuffed one. :-P