Gallery

Monday, February 18, 2019

All square



It has been over 30 years since I actually used square format cameras, but when the subject suits I still crop to produce a square photograph.

A grey and wet day eventually gave way to an hours worth of sunshine, and although the light was welcome there wasn't much going on, sky-wise. All I really had to use was a stack of cloud stretching to the horizon, and growing ever more pink as the sun set.

Having moved up and down the beach trying to find something that works as a composition, I take a single shot from underneath the pier. On opening the files in Lightroom, I promptly dismiss the picture in favour of others that I think work better, and develop those instead.

However, it is during the deletion process that I finally take a longer look at this image, and see something coherent. It's the way the clouds echo the shape of the beams running along the underside of the pier decking that catch my eye. Using the square format tightened everything up.



12-24mm f/4 AF-S Nikkor. 1/50 second at f/8. Matrix metering. Lee 0.6 grey grad filter. ISO 400



© 2019

No comments: