Gallery

Wednesday, September 04, 2019

Salisbury Cathedral at 720nm



My second attempt at infrared photography using a digital camera has had a degree of success, but it's still not what I'm looking for. The wet prints I was making in my darkroom days with Kodak HIR film produced more drama - albeit somewhat hit or miss in producing a printable negative.

The filter I am currently using - one that (mostly) allows wavelengths of 720nm to pass through it - is just not cutting it: I want white whites and deep blacks! However, if my subject is in bright sunshine I'm coming close(er) to the effect I'm after.

Of course, a near opaque filter blocks a lot of light reaching the sensor, but Olympus' 5 axis image stabilisation (IBIS) allows me to handhold, even at ridiculously slow shutter speeds.



Olympus OMD-EM10 MkIII with 14-42mm 3.5/5.6 Pancake lens. ⅓ second at f/11. - ⅔ EV compensation. ISO 2000. R72 Infrared filter



© 2019

No comments: