Gallery

Monday, September 09, 2019

The patience of a saint, or wield the clone tool?








Wide-angle lenses - apart from their obvious benefits - also have their drawbacks: fisheyes, even more so. I'm shooting with the latter exclusively inside Salisbury Cathedral, just for the fun of it. But apart from capturing the magnificence of the interior (distortion and all), I'm also trying to exclude human presence. Visitors to such places are rarely dressed in keeping with surroundings, and in my view it spoils the mood.

I could shoot merrily away and remove any unwanted elements of the photograph later using the clone tool or similar, but instead I patently wait until the scene clears and is the way I want it...

And some waiting it takes, believe me, but in each of the images above I've not used any digital shenanigans. 



Lens - 10.5mm f/2.8 Nikkor fisheye. Auto ISO.

Top: 1/20 second at f/8. Matrix metering. - 1 stop EV compensation. ISO 1000
Middle: 1/100 second at f/11. Matrix metering. - 1⅓ stop EV compensation. ISO 1400
Bottom: 1/6 second at f/8. Matrix metering. - 1 stop EV compensation. ISO 1000



© 2019


No comments: