Gallery

Monday, November 15, 2021

Pressing moments


The day started with the idea of a bus ride along the coast followed by a walk home. The weather forecast was for overcast skies all day, so I packed two lenses in the bag that I thought might be of some use: a 50mm f/1.8 and a 10.5mm fisheye - the latter just in case I needed to inject a bit of energy into whatever piqued my interest.

As I neared my intended destination I decided to sit the ride out for as far as the bus went, and ended up in Swanage - a small seaside town on the Dorset coast. At this time of year the place is very quiet, and I spend an hour or some roaming the streets photographing anything I like the look of. It's during this relaxed state of affairs that I notice the break in the cloud cover, moving slowly from north to south.

No mention of this in the forecast. None. I'm at a loss lens wise; I'm either too long (50mm), or too wide (the fisheye) to record the scene, and I'm faced with two options. I can either shoot a panoramic, which will involve an unfeasibly large number of shots to attempt to stitch together in post, or I can press the fisheye into use as a normal wide-angle lens. I choose the latter.

I had to keep the camera level to prevent the horizon curving alarmingly, and crop out a lot of the foreground, but it worked.


© 2021

No comments: