Gallery

Monday, November 24, 2014

Better...



Spurred on by yesterday's poor show, I set the alarm on my smartphone for 6 am and got myself down to the beach well before sunrise. The weather forecast is for clear skies, but fortunately there is enough cloud to make things interesting.

As soon as the sea comes into view I am pleased to see that there is broken cloud on the horizon. All too often mornings like this can have a narrow band of cloud that will obscure the moment of sunrise, but today I am in luck. I know exactly where and when the sun's orb will appear, thanks to the The Photographers Ephemeris - a free website that allows you to calculate everything you need for such predictions (and more) - but whilst I lie in wait with a super-telephoto lens I realise that I am in danger missing the precursor to the event.

So, it is on with a wide lens to photograph the pre-dawn. As with a sunset you only have a limited amount of time to get the best from what's on offer, as no sooner has the effect arrived than it is gone again. The sun did break the horizon at 7.36 am; it was where it was supposed to be, but I felt that this image summed-up the dawn in a far better way.


12-24mm f/4 AF-S Nikkor. 1/125 second at f/8. - 0.33 EV compensation. ISO 200



© 2014

  

2 comments:

Nic said...

That Photographers Emphemeneneneim is spot on, isn't it?

Lovely dawn shot and good to see you out at the best time of the day.

Richard Brewer said...

It hasn't failed me yet, and unless something drastic happens to the Earth's rotation and orbit soon, will continue to serve us all well.

You are right, Nic: It is always the best time of day, summer or winter.